Search

Advice Needed - How Can I Correct My Maltese Bad Behavior?

• Thread starter KristinaW
  • Start date

1K Total Thread Views | 2 Replies

K

KristinaW

Reaction Score
Hi Everybody,

I just wrote a post where I explained that I'm having some behavioral issues with my Maltese puppy. She's biting at my feet and drawing blood. I don't know what to do because it seems like everything I've tried has failed. I'm at my wit's end here. Any advice or help would be most appreciated, so please read my post and comment to help me out. My puppy is only 4 months old, so I think there is still time to train her. Can you train an adult Maltese once it's already started with bad behavior and lots of barking? How do I get my Maltese to stop barking too? PLEASE HELP!

https://www.petclassifieds.us/forum...maltese-to-stop-barking-biting-my-heels.7961/
Thanks,

Kristina

KristinaW said:
Hi Everybody,

I just wrote a post where I explained that I'm having some behavioral issues with my Maltese puppy. She's biting at my feet and drawing blood. I don't know what to do because it seems like everything I've tried has failed. I'm at my wit's end here. Any advice or help would be most appreciated, so please read my post and comment to help me out. My puppy is only 4 months old, so I think there is still time to train her. Can you train an adult Maltese once it's already started with bad behavior and lots of barking? How do I get my Maltese to stop barking too? PLEASE HELP!

https://www.petclassifieds.us/forum...maltese-to-stop-barking-biting-my-heels.7961/
Thanks,

Kristina
Hi, have you tried redirecting her? For example, when she goes after your heels, have a toy or tug prepared to draw her attention away. This is what is done when you don't want to punish herding behavior, like in cattle dogs. Since she's not a herding maybe try teaching her a specific command such as sit or down and then be able to give her the command to stop the negative behavior. Dogs are smart, they know how to push our buttons :) , but they also know what makes us happy, thus intern rewarding them. Hope this helps!

Reactions: KristinaW
Hayden15 said:
Hi, have you tried redirecting her? For example, when she goes after your heels, have a toy or tug prepared to draw her attention away. This is what is done when you don't want to punish herding behavior, like in cattle dogs. Since she's not a herding maybe try teaching her a specific command such as sit or down and then be able to give her the command to stop the negative behavior. Dogs are smart, they know how to push our buttons :) , but they also know what makes us happy, thus intern rewarding them. Hope this helps!
Hello @Hayden15 - thank you so much for your advice. You are correct when you say she can push my buttons. She has gotten a little better over the months, but she still behaves badly. I will try to take her mind off of her bad behavior like you said and see what happens. Like I said, she has calmed down somewhat already. But your advice is appreciated.

Reactions: Hayden15