Search

What are Common Golden Retriever Health Problems?

• Thread starter LukeLewis
  • Start date

1K Total Thread Views | 3 Replies

LukeLewis

LukeLewis

Reaction Score
I'm seriously considering buying a Golden Retriever as my next dog and I'm curious about what common health issues they face. I've done quite a bit of reading about this and have concluded that these are what Goldens are generally up against:

- Hip Dysplasia
- Skin Conditions
- Chest Conditions
- Cancer
- Von Willebrand Disease
- Loose Knees (Luxating Patella)
- Cataracts
- Low Thyroid
- Ear Infections
- Bloat & GDV

My sister used to own one of these dogs and it was the best dog ever. We all loved it. That's why I want to get one too. She would bring him swimming a lot with her, but after a while, he got an ear infection and she (my sister) had to give him drops. I think that had to do with the fact that her Golden's ears were so floppy and the air couldn't get in there to dry them out. When she cleaned the ears, brown stuff came out on the cloth. Otherwise the dog was healthy. I think he passed away at 12 years old.

I know what the common ailments are, I guess. What I'm more concerned about is whether or not these afflict all Goldens or just ones that are bred from certain parents. For instance, if my neighbor's Golden gets hip dysplasia, does that mean mine will get it as well? Or will mine avoid that because of his better breeding? Does certain breeding produce better dogs? I think that's the real question here. So instead of looking at the breed so much, perhaps I should be looking at the particular breeder.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Hayden15
We've actually got some really awesome Golden Retriever breeders and owners here on the site. I'm wondering if they could help out with your Golden health issues question. Maybe boltfamilygoldens, keila.beehler, Faith Marie's Puppie's can offer some advice to you about this breed of dog. I know it's a definite favorite of dog lovers, so any advice these folks can give would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never owned a Golden Retriever , but I do have experience with picking out other breeds of dogs. Here is a couple of things that I have learned.
* Research the bloodlines. Even healthy breeds can be corrupted with bad genetics. Find someone who knowns the bloodlines their selling and his willing to talk to you about them.
* Know the health of the parents and grandparent of the puppy. If they've had medical problems that can be passed down, chances are the puppy might have them too.
* Make sure you find an honest breeder, especially if their far away.
*do your own research. once you know the bloodline, research to see what its history is.

Usually genetics is what cause the diseases in certain dog breeds. It all stems from irresponsible breeders who started watering down the different breeds decades ago. My Lab is 10 years old and has always been healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: LukeLewis
Hayden15 said:
I've never owned a Golden Retriever , but I do have experience with picking out other breeds of dogs. Here is a couple of things that I have learned.
* Research the bloodlines. Even healthy breeds can be corrupted with bad genetics. Find someone who knows the bloodlines their selling and his willing to talk to you about them.
* Know the health of the parents and grandparent of the puppy. If they've had medical problems that can be passed down, chances are the puppy might have them too.
* Make sure you find an honest breeder, especially if their far away.
*do your own research. once you know the bloodline, research to see what its history is.

Usually genetics is what cause the diseases in certain dog breeds. It all stems from irresponsible breeders who started watering down the different breeds decades ago. My Lab is 10 years old and has always been healthy.
Thank you so much for your help and advice. I never actually made up my mind on a breed, but when I am ready, I will take what you advised into account. Thanks again.

Reactions: Hayden15