Search

My Cat is Beating Up My Pitbull

• Thread starter WendyMay
  • Start date

855 Total Thread Views | 1 Reply

W

WendyMay

Reaction Score
Here's a problem for you. Please let me know if you've ever experienced anything like this and, if so, what you did about it. I currently own two cats. Their names are Meredith and Nancy (I know). I've owned them for approximately six years. About three years ago, I adopted a Pitbull. Now, just to let you know, I've owned Pitbulls before, so I have lots of experience with them. I've had two in the past 20 years.

At first, my new Pitbull (Siddy) was looking at my cats in an odd way. I was slightly concerned with this because I didn't really know the dog yet. The cats were shy around the dog. I kept an eye on him to make sure he behaved. Well, as it turns out, about a year later, the cats have apparently come out of their shells because they beat the hell out of the dog every chance they get. Siddy does nothing in return and he's a perfect angel. The cats hide around the house and when Sid walks by, they jump out and scare him. They'll try anything to get a reaction. The dog is good though and absolutely refuses to take the bait. Again, he's behaved very well so far. When the cats beat him up, he'll come to me to "tell on them." It's actually pretty pathetic.

I thought Pitbulls were so dangerous. Not in this case! It's my cats that are dangerous. Has anyone else every experienced something like this? Has your cat ever stalked and attacked your dog? It's crazy to watch and I'd like it to stop. If I could just figure out a way. My Pitbull is about 80 pounds and looks intimidating, so I really don't know what's going through the cats' heads.

WendyMay said:
Here's a problem for you. Please let me know if you've ever experienced anything like this and, if so, what you did about it. I currently own two cats. Their names are Meredith and Nancy (I know). I've owned them for approximately six years. About three years ago, I adopted a Pitbull. Now, just to let you know, I've owned Pitbulls before, so I have lots of experience with them. I've had two in the past 20 years.

At first, my new Pitbull (Siddy) was looking at my cats in an odd way. I was slightly concerned with this because I didn't really know the dog yet. The cats were shy around the dog. I kept an eye on him to make sure he behaved. Well, as it turns out, about a year later, the cats have apparently come out of their shells because they beat the hell out of the dog every chance they get. Siddy does nothing in return and he's a perfect angel. The cats hide around the house and when Sid walks by, they jump out and scare him. They'll try anything to get a reaction. The dog is good though and absolutely refuses to take the bait. Again, he's behaved very well so far. When the cats beat him up, he'll come to me to "tell on them." It's actually pretty pathetic. Cushings disease

I thought Pitbulls were so dangerous. Not in this case! It's my cats that are dangerous. Has anyone else every experienced something like this? Has your cat ever stalked and attacked your dog? It's crazy to watch and I'd like it to stop. If I could just figure out a way. My Pitbull is about 80 pounds and looks intimidating, so I really don't know what's going through the cats' heads.

Hello,

I haven't personally experienced this situation, but it's not uncommon for cats to assert dominance or exhibit territorial behavior towards new pets, including dogs. You might have to do this, Slowly introduce the cats and dog to each other in controlled settings to build familiarity and reduce tension. Reward your cats for calm behavior around the dog and vice versa. Provide your cats to safe spaces. Sometime, time and patience are needed for the animals to adjust to each other.

Last edited: