Search

Do Siberian Huskies Bark?

921 Total Thread Views | 2 Replies | Jump to Last Post (Latest Reply by WendyMay · Posted: )

KodyWallice

Reaction Score
I'm a big dog person. I love dogs. I've owned so many different types of breeds, from Golden Retrievers to Black Labs to German Shepherds to Dachshunds. A really wide variety. I've never owned a Siberian Husky before though so I don't have an answer for my friend who asked me recently if these dogs bark. From what I've been able to find online, some of them are absolutely silent while others howl. Is this true? I don't know what to believe out there, so I thought I'd ask real Husky owners here. My buddy is looking for a very quiet dog to live with. He needs it to be quiet because he's got neighbors who live very close by and he doesn't want to disturb them with any barking. So if anyone has any input on whether or not Huskies bark or not, I'd love to know so I can tell me friend.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to own a Husky years ago and it never barked. I've got friends now who own this breed of dog and they claim that their dogs are very quiet. I think the reason is that barking is primarily a territorial act and since Huskies really aren't very territorial, they don't feel the need to bark at all. This is why people rarely, if ever, buy a Husky to guard their stuff or their house. The dog simply doesn't bark at people it doesn't know.

Now howling is a different story. Since Huskies are so closely related to wolves, they can howl up a storm. If you've ever come deep in the woods where wolves and coyotes live, you've surely heard howling. This is how those dogs communicate. Allegedly, other wolves can hear howling in the distance and pick up the message. They "talk" too. This sounds like a weird quieter type of a howl. It's strange. You'd have to hear it for yourself to know what I'm talking about. It's like the Husky is trying to chew the air while making odd noises.

My advice is to check out an older dog to see what it's like. Howling can be worse than barking, so your friend might want to take this on a case by case basis.

I've owned Huskies and they didn't bark. They did howl though.