Search

Jack Russell Terriers No Longer an AKC Breed

• Thread starter Haven
  • Start date

135 Total Thread Views | 2 Replies

H

Haven

Reaction Score
Hello, I am new to this website and it has again not kept up to the current breed listings. There Used to Be, AKC Jack Russell Terriers- They are no longer listed as a breed. In 2005, AKC split the breed due to the large variation in type, structure and style. So no more Jack Russell Terriers in AKC, but they are still as such in UKC. They are now split in AKC into the Parson Russell Terrier- which is basically the long legged Jack style still, and the Russell Terrier-which is the shorter legged version but they are not shorties. Their body and leg should be 50/50 of their overall height at the withers. But I still find just Jack Russell Terriers listed. The Russell Terrier has been bred out from Jacks about 6 or 7 generations since the split. They are still very Terrier, but much calmer. They can live together in a pack and not fight as Jacks tended to do. So I just wanted to educate others about the change in name and breed type and see if we could get websites such as this one to add "Russell Terriers" and "Parson Terriers" to their listing.??

• Wow
Reactions: CampFireJack and Admin
Haven said:
Hello, I am new to this website and it has again not kept up to the current breed listings. There Used to Be, AKC Jack Russell Terriers- They are no longer listed as a breed. In 2005, AKC split the breed due to the large variation in type, structure and style. So no more Jack Russell Terriers in AKC, but they are still as such in UKC. They are now split in AKC into the Parson Russell Terrier- which is basically the long legged Jack style still, and the Russell Terrier-which is the shorter legged version but they are not shorties. Their body and leg should be 50/50 of their overall height at the withers. But I still find just Jack Russell Terriers listed. The Russell Terrier has been bred out from Jacks about 6 or 7 generations since the split. They are still very Terrier, but much calmer. They can live together in a pack and not fight as Jacks tended to do. So I just wanted to educate others about the change in name and breed type and see if we could get websites such as this one to add "Russell Terriers" and "Parson Terriers" to their listing.??
This is excellent information. We'll definitely look into adding those two categories; one for "Parson Russell Terrier" and the other for "Russell Terrier." Thakn you so much.

Good to know. I always called those little dogs Jack Russell Terriers. I never saw that much of a difference in them, but I am not an expert with that breed.