Search

Designer Dog Breed or a Rescue Dog?

779 Total Thread Views

CampFireJack

Reaction Score
I just read through a long and drawn out fight on Facebook that was about designer dog breeds versus rescue shelter dogs. The post started out where one person was talking up Aussiedoodles and how great they were with their kids and how their allergies weren't flaring up because the dogs are apparently hypoallergenic. I was like, "Oh, this is a nice post. I love Aussiedoodles.

Well, a few message down, someone new jumped in and started screaming at everyone because they didn't feel that making up a new designer dog breed was a good idea. They felt that there are already too many dogs out there who are living in shelters. So basically, they said that we should be adopting our dogs from the shelters as opposed to breeding new dogs that really don't need to be bred in the first place. I think their argument applied to all dogs and not just the designer breeds, but I'm assuming the designer breed thing put them over the edge because of how popular they are getting. This person was really ticked off!

After reading their argument a bit, I saw their point. I agreed with the person until I read the original poster's reply. They claimed that since the Aussiedoodle's fur isn't allergenic, they haven't been suffering. They claimed that that's the only reason they went with this dog. Their throat used to close up and they'd get hives around other dogs, so they had only limited options. I don't think the angry dude was having it, because he said the Aussiedoodle wasn't hypoallergenic at all. And the fight went on and on.

My question is, how do you feel about more dog breeds popping up out of nowhere? Should be be breeding more dogs, especially designer breeds that are only bound to get more popular, when there are so many other dogs living in rescue shelters? I feel bad both ways; first for the dogs and second for the people who want pets, but who suffer from allergies and can't adopt a regular ol' breed from a shelter. Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator: